Monday, January 14, 2013

Talking 'bout the Weather

1954 was an extraordinarily cold Winter. In February, temperatures fell to Siberian level. No reason for my parents not to take me out; coming from the Baltic states, the cold was no challenge for them. I remember how I found pleasure to probe the ice which at that time was safe, and collect pieces. There were a few more very cold winters, then the mild seventies brought a warm period in which we did not even see snow in some winters. For decades, our town lake "Alster" rarely froze; the first time it was possible to walk on it again was in early 1997 and on some more occasions since then. Last winter, it was close; but it started getting milder, just when the ice had become thick enough to walk on. A pleasure that causes me less enthusiasm than at 5.

4 comments:

deanna7trees said...

so sweet.

Ms. said...

What a dear child you were! The want of ice is so fierce for some, like the polar bear. For me, it is longing, and the realization that Winter arrives in New England in March, though there was one stunning storm the day after Christmas, which melted too quickly in 50 degree weather that followed. Here in NYC, snow melts before it hits the ground we are so burdened with electric lights and body heat. though I remember blizzards decades ago that stopped traffic. Folks skied in Central Park.. None the less, a flurry is rumored to be possible this Saturday, the day before I turn seventy. i was born in a snow storm, and hope to die looking at the world turned white.

Chris Gray said...

What a beautiful childhood photo!

...you really look happy to be just where you are at that moment...

I don't think you've changed much either...

x C

Yael said...

I LOVE this photo!
Ein suesses liebes kleines Evchen! :-)