Sunday, November 3, 2013

One Quilt -- A Dozen Fabrics for the Binding

 My quilt "Ethnographic Museum" is not very large, about 4x3 ft. I decided that it is finished, though it will never have bed-size; But some things don't improve when being enlarged. The reason is probably that there are plenty of details which don't allow it to be larger.
 The last part I did is the row of triangles on the right side of the view below. It is a convincing signal to walk upstairs, as you can find it in many museums. The quilt now starts with a strong clockwise movement, driving left. Must be a British museum.
 And now, I'm almost finished with the binding. As you can see in this picture, there are different fabrics instead of framing the whole piece with the same fabric. I just could not make up my mind. I also thought that the jeopardy of materials should be continued allover, this might harmonize with the character of the whole piece better than an "orderly" or conventional binding.
I might even turn this method of binding into some kind of personal brand.
P.S. The colors are not quite as bright as in the first picture which I took with a flash light. They are more like the 3rd pictures shows them, a little more subdued, looking vintage more than any other I made.