Friday, July 25, 2014

Next Steps

 The "Flying Geese" border is finished, the first part of the next row is shown at the bottom of pic 1. New African fabrics contribute a lot to the character of this quilt.

Friday, July 18, 2014

My Work Space

On this wooden board, you can see my tools. There are a few stencils I cut out of plastic boxes. The wooden board is important because I push the pins hard through the cloth layers.
There is an Estonian pin cushion, wool embroidery, and the neon green thread which I use for the whole quilt. The red-framed diamond is one of four corner pieces which will be joined into the flying geese rows.

The side rows of flying gees are just being made.

The bottom picture shows the quilt at the present state.
In the lower right corner, you can see part of an older mini quilt.
Some other quilters in a quilt group saw this piece and suggested that also this one should be quilted. This is not the tradition of korak; and although I love quilting and the result and its feel, I will not do it this time. The reason is: The Korak method is based on doubled scraps. A korak naturally becomes more sturdy and stiffer than a conventional quilt top. I quilted the latest one, and it became so stiff that you can form it into sculptures that won't collapse, and it weighs a ton. I'm working on a lighter and more flexible piece this time, hoping it will be more comfy as a sleeping cover.

Friday, July 11, 2014

No System

This is how far I got until now. 3 "layers", a center piece and two streets that wrap around it. The principle I tried to apply is not as striking as I thought it would be -- on the contrary, it is rather invisible. I have an idea how to continue. Starting without a plan is a risk, but making a plan has been the greater risk in my life and art.

Thursday, July 10, 2014

Close-Up on Korak

 Building up a block of strips:

 The same part, sewn:  
Diamond close-up
What I find so fascinating about this technique: I can arrange and sew each and every part of the work on the top side.

Monday, July 7, 2014

A Concept Arising

After a phase of mere experiment, a concept is forming: A rather rough diamond shape and blocks which fill the gaps between the diamonds.
The direction of the blocks is given by the central element within the light green border.
I hope to achieve a ray-light effect through the strip blocks.
I work in rows which wrap around the piece, starting in the center. So I don't have to plan the whole quilt in advance.

During my holidays, I did not have much time to quilt. Though I took the piece with me, together with a bundle of scraps and thread/needles, there was not much time to continue. Instead, my husband and I did a few walks, rode by boat, or slept a lot.
Here is a choice of pictures from our journey; see also newer postings!