Thursday, November 12, 2009

How to connect the strips

Deborah, you asked how I would connect the strips, and I wasn't sure how to do that either. I tried bendig the edge of one and fix it with pins, then apply a seam stitch which doesn't go through all layers. This seems to be the answer: pure korak technique. It is not difficult to work, and it looks satisfying. My husband said, "they ask how you'll do it, because they want to find out if this German chick knows a way, probably she doesn't, chucklechuckle". He's quite sarcastic sometimes! That Bauhaus lover. But the truth is: My quilting friends in the USA and elsewhere gave me so many valuable and helpful hints, photos and encouragement. Without you, I wouldn't have started successful quilting at all. And success -- okay, let's remain modest, my abilities are what you can expect if someone starts quilting at almost 60. I'm not aiming at any contest. Having a nice piece under which it is possible to sleep as well -- that's my idea of success.

6 comments:

Deborah said...

Thank you, Eva. It sounds like your husband is a joker like mine, he once said I would never make a quilt but only read about them. What you've made looks really good. Not having a sewing background and not having a machine except for a treadle needing repairs, I'm still learning.

jude said...

not going through all the layers is the key to many things....

Carol H said...

Well Eva, you certainly inspired me! I just turned 61 and think it's time to think outside the box. I really like the color combination in your quilt, keep the creative fires burning.

Anonymous said...

Eva, are you familiar with the Gee's Bend quilts? This new piece immediately brought them to mind. The same intuitive spontanaity--very joyful.

Eva said...

lei, thank you! A real discovery. You are right, there is a similarity. In Gee's Bend they don't have rulers, to start with. That's the way I work!

Anonymous said...

For a beginner...you are amazing!
: )