Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Now I have time for the Bauhaus Project

I started this quilt for my husband a few weeks ago when I cut his old jacket into pieces. Now I'm continuing this piece in a kind of korak method, but I quilt it, as can be seen in the picture. 13 strips like these two will make the complete quilt of about 60x48". I guess it will be extra fun to arrange the strips and make them match before I sew them. This piece works a lot faster than the bird quilt, as the quilting is in larger stitches, too. It would be great if I could finish it for Xmas. I use a wooden board in order to protect the table from the pins.

The bird quilt is almost finished. You can still see the basting which of course will be removed. I'll do some very large but hidden quilting stitches on the reverse. This is what I do during watching TV in the evenings.

This is my first properly done, bed size quilt.
I sewed two in the seventies, but as I did not know that they had to be quilted, they fell apart after some use, and I discarded them.

9 comments:

jude said...

i did that too on one of my first quilts, not enough stitches, but not discarded, it is the old black and white quilt i just ct up and used in coma. and a bit of it is in fever too.

Pat said...

yes, my early quilts were like that too. one of the first was made for Larry and i keep thinking that i should take it apart and redo the batting and quilting. but a quilting friend says, 'no', that it is important to have it as a record....who knows.

Clare Wassermann said...

It's lovely and colourful... hey wait a minute let me go and have a shuffle through my husband's jackets!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I like the green you added to your quilt. It livens it up a bit.

ArtSparker said...

I like the muted jacket colors with the red and turquoise.

Deborah said...

I'm enjoying watching your process and progress. The bird quilt looks very luxurious. After you make the strips for your husband's quilt, how do you sew them together? Wrong sides together or something else? I'm not familiar with the method you are using but it looks interesting and I think I would like to try it.

Eva said...

I'm not familiar with it either. I thought of seam stitch from the right side. It's a challenge.

gema said...

The birds quilt is truly awesome. Sometimes I'll just sit and stare at your incredible handstitchings! How do you find the quiet space/place within you to get that quality work done? It must be freeing not working against a clock!
I was wondering too about the back of the quilt. Yesterday I thought or knew that you would be adding stitches to it too. It is beautiful but I knew those flowers would be begging for some stitches. Congrats on a magnificient piece of art work. Well done!

gema said...

Now I am really excited about your new challenge. Bauhaus is my kind of art.