Not so long ago, I made a pledge to use worn, given, second hand and inherited cloth. But then...
I had the intention to do some appliqué leaves between the birds. I find it very laborious to do appliqué, and I admire the patience that is manifested in Barbara's "Trellis". But I wanted to turn the middle of this piece into a joyful natural surrounding where the birds can play. The background, even quilted, doesn't look joyful enough to me. The flying birds need some more of these "Tibetan" clouds from Indonesia. This is why I surrendered and, with a tragical tremble in my voice, said to myself: "You have to get these fabrics". I broke my pledge. Hit me.
The Bird Quilt top is almost finished. No more large gaps, only small strips to be finished. It is large enough to allow a nap together with J on the sofa, both covered up. Now I'll cut this Turkish bedcover apart and give the quilt a one-cloth backing and a binding.
The boxes on the edge are houses, limitation of natural space, as I experience them, but also refuge and the way to survive winter in this latitude. They limit the bird's environment. Some get used to it like blackbirds or the heron who kept standing silently at his pond, when we walked by on Sunday.