Sunday, November 30, 2008

A weekend in Berlin

Brandenburg Landscape on the way to Berlin
A dull and grey day in Berlin: Our arrival by bus. We went to see my husband's cousin and his Japanese wife and my husband's closest friends.
View down to the river Havel near Spandau
From East Berlin to Potsdam Square, still reminding of the time when this street was Stalinallee










Berlin is so exiting because you can still read a lot of its history. In Hamburg, all the traces of the past have been eliminated. In Berlin, there is so much they just can't cope too soon.
We slept in our cousin's beautiful 1900 flat under high ceilings with Art Nouveau plaster decoration.
Breakfast "outdoors" -- in a foil tent with a gas heater outside a crowded café. Taking breakfast in a café on sundays is so popular that you hardly find a free seat.
A visit on the flea market, bought a coffee mug for $0,80. There was an artist offering his prints: Very interesting! A short goodbye -- and we're on the way back home.

5 comments:

BipolarBunny said...

Sounds fun. Too bad about the weather.

Eva said...

Not half the fun I had reading your blog, dear.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Judy said...

I'm so glad to have 'found' you! I am in love with Germany: the cities, the landscape, the food, but most of all the people! Thank you for taking me on a mini trip to Berlin, a city that I hope to visit one day!

xo

p.s. I deleted my above comment as it was was credited to my husband and not me...computers are funny sometimes, aren't they? LOL

Rayna said...

Ah, ça me rapelle le marché aux puces à Paris - mais moins cher, je croix.