Sunday, March 14, 2010

Night taxi in Adana

When I arrived in Adana, South Turkey, it was 4 or 5 a.m. and the temperature was 30° C/86°F. I stepped into a cushion of warm air. It was a full moon. A friend of my fiance had a car and picked us up. The car was lacking a few of the window panes, and through a hole in the floor, you could see the street pavement rush by. The streets were visible in dim yellow light. There were building sites everywhere; large parts of the town were "night foundings", means, illegal buildings. I saw the site of a huge musk.
This was how I first saw Turkey.

8,5x6", gouache painting on black cardboard.

8 comments:

John Hopper said...

Thanks for this. I have also been to Adana, a few years ago now, but your piece summed up my own impressions perfectly.

jude said...

oh hey thanks.... never to adana but to turkey many times. this contains a wonderful story.

JRonson said...

this is so powrfull, full of energy, great colors :) your works r so exotic !

JRonson said...

thanks for the quote from the german poet, I'll never forget to be myself and don't give any atention to the mad people say, i will be faithful to myself :)

thaks once again

Judy said...

magnificent: both the painting and your wonderfully descriptive writing!

xo

ArtSparker said...

You can see amazing things under a green moon.

Rayna said...

How beautiful -- you have a gift of seeing and helping us see through your eyes. Thanks!

P.S. - now I know where Adana kabobs come from

Diane Cransac said...

I just finished catching up a bit with your blog. So sorry I haven't dropped by in awhile. I had to empathize with you on your quilting woes, I am so there with you! The watercolors are wonderful, so bright and vibrant.Was wonderful to see all the beautiful things you have been creating lately. Isn't it nice to be able to wander outside again too?