Saturday, October 23, 2010

How to carry on?

This time I tried the dragons white on green. I used some of the cloth paint like water color onto the ironed dragons and gave the background a slight shading.
I'm trying some pieced border around the dragons. The quilting has become quite structural as I wanted it to be. I used MEZ and Anchor embroidery cotton this time because I have a stash in colors to suit the dragons. In this light, the quilting seems to dominate over the painting, but this is an effect I wanted to get. I want this piece to have a more aged look than what I usually do. Rust and copper green are the shades I want to prevail.
I'm not sure about the pieced part. Or should I make a quilt entirely out of painted fabric?

Update. The colors are said to be washfast after ironing. I haven't tested them yet, but I trust them.

8 comments:

Judy said...

I LOVE IT!!!!

xo

ArtSparker said...

I like the stitching on the original piece very much. I believe it adds to the energy. You have a whole centrifugal force thing going on with this muted (colorwise) but strong (structurally) circle piece. The pieced bits may contain the energy of the original piece - I'm wondering about how it would be to angle the pieces, as if the dragons were throwing them out into the world? However, this may be my obsession, not yours.

Eva said...

well, why not!

Els said...

I looked at the enlarged picture and love the way your dragons in the circle are quilted !!!
I quite like the coppery green of the new painted dragons and that they are in a way the "negative" version of the ones in the circle. I think (but who am I to say so) that the beige / orange/ brown colours of the "normal" fabric are going very well with the fabric you painted yourself! (Only about the bright red in the lefthand corner I'm not so sure, but then again: who am I ......) This looks like it's becoming a tribute-to-the-dragons quilt ;-)

Yael said...

It looks very good Eva! Could be a pretty pillow!
Are those paints light and wash fast? I guess this would be quite important for a quilt!
I love the pieced strip, but I think it is a little bit to near to the medallion of the dragon - the color go wonderfully together with it though!

Eva said...

Els, the bright red is a piece of the basic fabric which will be covered completely in the process. (What a sharp eye, mumblemumble)

jude said...

fabulous eva....

grace Forrest~Maestas said...

this is just magnificant.