Thursday, October 21, 2010

Started Quilting

"Form Follows Function" was one of the Bauhaus design rules. Hm.
Apart from connecting two layers of fabric and giving the surface a nice, ripply touch, my quilting doesn't have much function. I'll just carry on with it until the piece will whisper in my ear what kind of thing it will become in the end; and most of my pieces make up their minds short before they are finished.
I love the lightness of my bird quilt because it has no batting, it is just 3 layers of fabric, densely quilted. I love to sleep under it because it never becomes too hot. I also love the idea of using 2 or 3 layers of quilts in cold nights, rather than having one winter cover. I have a well-batted "summer" bedcover which I use in coldest winter. Modern fiber technology! It is so light that I hardly feel it. But it is "on" or "off". Nothing in between. It makes me restless. It is much better to have a few layers and to adapt them to your needs.
And: The idea of having a number of quilts is a wonderful excuse to keep on creating.

5 comments:

iHanna said...

Eva, your embroidery is so beautiful! And I love the idea of using your quilts in layers and use that idea to keep going and making more. :-)

Deborah said...

I'm sure it will become something wonderful like your bird quilt!

ArtSparker said...

Heh, makes me think of Nasruddin peeling the layers of the onion to get to the secret of the universe...

Diane Cransac said...

I would love to make just ONE quilt...

Eva said...

Diane, it takes me half a year to make one.