Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Giants die hard










This tree was taken down because it was getting too large. It is a poplar, and these are said to be breaking easily. Administration are very worried about trees or branches to fall on cars or people -- so they have to prevent even smaller risks. But it seems as if this tree's time to die hadn't come yet; the rope slipped twice when they tried to pull that trunk down, and the guy had to get back on the lift again and again to fasten it.

This is the last one of the highest branches. I expect the feng shui of the place to change in some way when the high trees are gone. It was a protection against the north, I think; but what is worst: When chopped branches are left in the shrubs, the place looks messy, and this way invites illegal dumping. I hope that nature repairs the surrounding.
This was my view out of the kitchen window, taken one morning when the sun dyed the tree. I'll miss it.

9 comments:

Chris Gray said...

Could you maybe go and save a piece of this tree...to bring indoors...

Just a small piece of branch...to make something with...and to keep with you..

Karin på FOX said...

A really powerful tree. I think the birds will miss it too.

Judy said...

oh Eva: I am in mourning over the loss of that wonderful old tree! So sad!

xo

ArtSparker said...

I'm sorry about the loss of your friend also.

jude said...

wow, that was one big poplar!

Yvette said...

some tears...last spring I lost a couple of giants too (neighbour complaints)

Unknown said...

Oh, I hate to see trees taken down, what a terrible shame. :((

Deborah said...

Sad. I know you will miss it.

Rayna said...

I think it is the worst thing when they take down trees - but often they will tell you it is for safety. However, they also make mistakes. Trees are like people - and it is hard to lose one you love. My sympathies.