Monday, November 22, 2010

Glass piecing

The Old "Elbtunnel" in Hamburg, 1907-11, is a work of engineering which was admired a lot at the time it was built. 23 meters below the soil, it crossed the river underneath and allowed thousands of workers to walk from the town where they lived to the forges, shipyards and docks. My husband, parents-in-law and I took a walk on Sunday. The picture no.2 is older, we did not have sunny weather.
After years of renovation, the tunnel has new elevators which can even take cars down und up again on the other side. I love the early 20th century architecture and the glass mosaics around the entrance doors.

6 comments:

Chris Gray said...

..there's a quilt in there somewhere!..


...such beautiful blues... :-)

Yael said...

Those mosaics are absolutely beautiful and gorgeous! What amazing colors! I love it! Yes, like a quilt, I wanted to look for fabric, to start cutting...

Rayna said...

Wow - this is gorgeous! You'd never see anything functional done so beautifully in the U.S. A tunnel, no less!

jude said...

glass patchwork.

Jackie said...

Wow ..I love that little picture of the mosaics.

Diane Cransac said...

Love those mosaics!