Tuesday, November 16, 2010

A spell to the snake

Pictures of snakes, turtles, and lizards. I draw them on a strip of vintage cloth. And there is an Estonian spell from the collection "Songs of the Estonians", 1848. It speaks to the snake: "What is your color, little Lena?" And carries on, describing the colors of the snake: "Hazel colored, lizard eye's color". It is meant to ban the snake from biting, but also adresses its power to make a swelling wane. I wrote the spell with a textile pen, added drawings and colored these pieces with cloth paint. These will be part of the next frame of the reptile quilt.

6 comments:

Joei Rhode Island said...

This is awe inspiring, Eva. Just to look reminds me how dry and smooth the scales of the snake can be. The turtle is great, too.

jude said...

oh this is so cool.

Yael said...

YES YES YES! Gorgeous idea!!!

Chris Gray said...

..I like the idea of the spell..

Els said...

Wow, another great extention to your quilt of reptiles!

Rayna said...

turtle-snake-lizard, and my right mouse button didn't tell me a thing. When I click it gives me options like "save" "copy" etc.
But you are right, of course.

Nobody's work looks like yours, however.