Saturday, October 3, 2009

Chickenshack Quilt -- finished at last

The Chickenshack mini quilt is finished. 17x17" with a new binding. It is the backing fabric, wrapped around the edges and sewn to the front with hem stitches. This means that backing and binding are one piece. The binding is a little crooked, but binding is something I'm learning at the moment. This piece is 100% hand sewn, printed, painted, and quilted. I'm thinking of selling it, but I'm not so sure, after all it was my first piece of this technique. Moreover, it was fused which made it awfully hard to do the hand quilting. Recently I read that the fusing material may create problems on the long run like a change of colors. I guess I'll try a similar one, not fused, for sale. It looks a little grey in the photos, but the cloth is dark blue and white. It suits the quilt better than it shows in the pics.

11 comments:

Pat said...

such a nice blog. and i very much like your work.

Chris Gray said...

Love the quilt Eva.....especially the colour..

Blue is my favourite :-)

jude said...

at first i thought it too overwhelmingly blue. but i know how difficult it is to get an accurate color. i struggled all day. i am not a fan of fusing. it make handling the cloth so uninviting....is it the kind that washes out?/ i like the design very much.

Eva said...

I think Wonder Under will not wash out. This was probably the last time I fused. It just doesn't go with hand quilting. "Uninviting" is a very mild way to describe the stiffness.

AeFondKis said...

Eva very lovely combination of patterns and colours
Linda

Judy said...

really nice Eva! I like fusing for wall hanging type quilts, but I think you enjoy creating things that can be used, so perhaps fusing is not the thing for you? It is a very lovely quilt! Can't wait to see more.

xo

Deb G said...

Maybe it could be used in a bag where stiffness wouldn't be as much of an issue (and maybe desirable)? I like how the birds appear to be cartwheeling across the sky.

Unknown said...

Congrats! This is a fun little quilt. :D

Deborah said...

nice colors

Clare Wassermann said...

I just think it's wonderful - like you I am experimenting with slow clothmaking and am inspired by Jude. In fact I was VERY naughty and bought a little piece of hers which is now my favourite ever possession! xx

femminismo said...

Love all your birdy quilting! Such excellent work. How did you do the chicken shack one? Looks like printed material???? I'll go back and read some more. A new fan in Oregon, U.S. - Jeanne