Saturday, February 7, 2009

Flying Carpet II


Today this kind of UFO landed on my painting table. Some kind of quilters' Independence Day. Friendly aliens have given us the art of quilting... No, I know. The true meaning is that quilting is heavenly art.
I cannot deny that the way I painted the earth was influenced by Lisa Call.

See these amazing Quilts
Made in Japan or wherever -- this might have been done in any other country by extremely patient and painstakingly working artists. See also the group creating quilts in a "Japanese" style on a site discovered by Melody. Some of the pieces are incredibly beautiful, but not Japanese. There is a difference in style, even if you use the properly labeled fabrics.
This reminds me a little of the China-craze in the 18th century. It is a merging of styles and a lot more "western" than we might think. Sometimes, the result of this merge are beautiful.

2 comments:

jude said...

i can see lisa in there, yes....

Diane Cransac said...

You just have such an amazing way with color. I love it!