Sunday, February 1, 2009

New Website: A journey to the USA in 1955

In 1955, when I was 6 years old, my father made a 3 months journey to the USA and took back a great number of slides, taken with his old Leica. As we did not have TV yet, this was one of my strongest impressions when I was very young.
I have no idea if -- beyond the personal memories -- these pictures are of any value, maybe they are quite banal. But they show how he saw "America" -- a continent that he seriously considered to emigrate to. In this little Website, you can see some of what he took back.

6 comments:

Diane Cransac said...

I'm sure at that age it was very impressionable. Children are always so much more given to flights of imagination. A whole other world...what a place for adventure! I know I have always been taken away to other places by photographs. They call me to visit...to explore. *sigh* I have so many more places to go...

ArtSparker said...

I like the ones of the people in Chicago particularly, and the "Anti'Communist exhibit" one is certainly of a time and place. Also the propeller and the empire state building shot. The ones, basically, in which he wasn't photographing official attractions...so there's a lot of irregularity and things happening.

Kay Koeper Sorensen said...

Thank you so much for sharing the photos.
I think your dad saw more of our country than many of us see.
I'm looking forward to spending more time looking at the photos.
K

Ann Graham said...

The two pictures labeled Lincoln Memorial are actually the US Supreme Court building. This is a great archive. Your father's presentation must have been very exciting. Ann

Eva said...

Ann, thank you for your information. In general, I am very grateful for corrections! So, if any of my readers discover mistakes, please let me know! I'll change this asap. I have no more labels on the slide boxes than just the town, sometimes they are not in the proper box any more, so I have to try and remember...

Judy said...

What wonderful photos. How things have changed here! Thank you so much for sharing all of those pictures. I was amazed at how much less crowded our cities, streets, and tourist attractions appeared back then. Your father had a great eye in his photography.

xo