Sunday, January 25, 2009
Two different ways to lay out 4 cards of 2x2". They fit into every position. I invented this as a closing work for my first year in the Hamburg Art Academy (you never heard of this one; it is justified). First, I tried a deck of cards in vibrant tones. Red, green and ultramarine blue seemed to create the greatest tension. I did this in 1970 when colour tv was still new and we did not have one. Of course not. So I did my own RGB technology. Then I found it was getting boring soon and thought of simplifying the patterns to give them more significance.
I did it in 3D on wood cubes in red and white. 50 cubes x 6 sides: 300 squares to paint. It was a hell of a job! The pieces show that I had lost interest in the end and painted very sloppily. Typical me. Now, 40 years later, I did the 4 samples on top of this posting. More orderly, different colours. But back to the roots.