Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Looking back 55 years


I was 4 years old when I spent a summer in the very north of Germany, together with my Grandma and relatives. My mother was having a baby, my younger brother, at that time, and my Dad spent the weekends with us.
So, most of the time I walked with my Granny. "Now you will see the sea for the first time", she said pathetically, and this is why I remember the moment very clearly.
She was a very tough and clever lady, a daring black market dealer in 1945, supplying the cosacks with vodka and taking bread home. As she spoke a meticulous St.Petersburg Russian, she got everything she wanted from them. She also spoke a beautiful German, French and Estonian.
She came to help my mother with laundry and ironing, and while she turned the bedsheets into stiff, heavy white boards, she reported the highlights of the Genesis to me. Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Joseph and his brothers, she knew them well.
In August 2008, my husband and I went to this place, and I took the colour pics of this vast and beautiful, wind-torn beach.

3 comments:

Paula Hewitt said...

what a lovely memory of your grandmother - how amazing you can remember being 4.

Judy said...

What a fabulous photo. That must have been a very special time for you, that you remember it so vividly.

Rayna said...

How beautiful all the pictures are - especially the one of you and your Granny.