Wednesday, December 31, 2008

A walk in the frost

My husband hates the cold. I don't like it either, but I don't FEEL cold as easily as he does. When I had the shopping done today and he was still at work, I went for a walk with deep frozen pizzas and bread, dangling in a bag from my left hand, and a lot of stuff in my rucksack, but it was so cold I wasn't worried anything might go bad. I started taking pics of the ice flowers on parked cars. Then I went to a part of town with living houses that were built on the tracks of a former horse race course with the streets still following the oval shape. The inner space is still a vast grass aerea with ponds and park-like landscape where ducks and gulls gather around ice holes. There is a playground where a Russian granny was taking a toddler out, and the way she talked to him was exactly the singing tone with stretched vowels as my granny used to talk to me.
In the ponds and ditches I saw interesting ice phenomena. And the sparkling of the light on the frosted green was almost supernatural! I spent an hour in this park until it was getting chilly, but after a few faster steps the warmth came back. Take a walk with me!

4 comments:

Lisa Call said...

Wow - love that last photo. The ice is great.

jude said...

i would take a chilly walk. my husband would sit home and hug the radiator. always cold, always cold.

Judy said...

I walked with you and was reminded of my last visit to Germany in December of '05.......BRRRRR! I don't mind the cold as long as I have mittens on my hands and warm socks and shoes on my feet. Your photos are wonderful!

Rayna said...

these pictures are so gorgeous, Eva.
Maybe worth a walk in the cold, but I'm not sure I would do it. I HATE the cold. Now I'm off to catch up on your party posts...