Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Patching the coat

This thing is not going to look like a real quilt, but rather like a helplessly patched thing. I imagine it being done by someone with a lot of love and very little skill. I am aware of the fact that also antique societies had refined techniques and skills. This is not an example of the height of culture.
In this case I rather like to show the great number of stitches, the lot of labour having been done. Maybe Joseph's sisters were told by his father Jacob to make this coat. There will also be embroidery and beads, I think.

The patches are either bought printed cloth or small acrylic paintings on cotton. I spread the paint on a glass pane, scratch and comb it or dilute it with water, then put the cotton onto it and press.
I decided not to buy material for this task, but recycle used scraps and pieces instead.

7 comments:

jude said...

this is actually quite fabulous. i love it

india flint said...

this reminds me somehow of the Japanese pilgrim kimono, where stamps were collected on the garment [it begins as pure white] during the pilgrimage from shrine to shrine...

Mary Stanley said...

Love your work! Beautiful weaving and the stitching is wonderful..so colorful and alive!

Martine said...

I love Josephs Coat!

Judy said...

great idea!! the colors are very nice and I like all of the handwork

xo

Margaret Cooter said...

Great project! Have you seen the "traveller's blanket" on this blog: http://origidij.blogspot.com/

Eva said...

Margaret, thanks for the links! I'll look out for more from this blog.